I understand that not everyone loves strong flavours – especially if those flavours are typically not used in sweet baking. Tahini, probably best known as a main ingredient in hummus, baba ghanoush, and halva, is essentially sesame butter / paste. I’ve been a longtime fan of tahini, so to see it find its way into baking is a real delight!
In this recipe, the unique (and apparent) flavour of tahini lends itself nicely to the traditionally simple shortbread cookie. The tahini and honey work beautifully in the ganache, adding a creamy, layered flavour profile in another traditionally simple baking staple.
Tahini Shortbread Sandwich Cookies
Recipe via Tasting Table
Yield: about 15 sandwich cookies
Shortbread Cookie Ingredients:
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 10 Tbsps unsalted butter, room temperature or slightly chilled
- ¾ cup tahini, stirred
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup tahini
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tsps kosher salt
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- In a medium bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, or hand mixer with standard beater attachments, beat the butter for 1-2 minutes to fluff it up. Add the tahini, sugar, and salt and beat the mixture until light and fluffy, another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the flour and mix until the dough comes together, about 3-4 minutes.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into a 14-inch circle, about ⅓ inch thick.
- With a 2¼-inch round cutter, cut out 40 circles, rerolling scraps as needed (I used a 2 ½-inch cutter and ended up with 30 circles). Transfer to the prepared baking sheets, 1 inch apart, and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Bake until lightly golden, 18 to 20 minutes, rotating about halfway through. Let cool on the sheets for about 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to cooling rack – the cookies will be fragile until fully cooled!
- In a medium bowl, combine the chocolate chips, tahini, honey, and kosher salt.
- In a small saucepan, bring the heavy cream to a simmer, then pour the cream over the chocolate mixture. Let sit for 2 minutes, then whisk until smooth.
- Let cool completely, then transfer to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
Cookie Sandwich Assembly Directions:
- Pipe cooled ganache onto half the cooled cookies.
- Gently place the opposite halves of the cookies onto the ganached halves and sandwich together, pressing down and stopping before the ganache spills out of the sides of the cookies.
- Serve fresh or refrigerate in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. I recommend trying the cookies fresh and also cold! Their form and gooey-ness is tidier when cold.